Sunday, October 5, 2008

Impressive Preseason

Well, the preseason is over, and like all of you I wasn't able to watch a single second of it. The good news is the Avs have done well, and finished 4-1-1 with an overtime victory over Chicago.

4 more players still need to be cut. I'm going to go ahead and say Willsie isn't one of them. According to the media outlets he's been good role player, and has two goals to go along with that reputation. I'm also doubting Jones is one, seeing as he has 3 goals in 2 games.

Of the two Cody's, McLeod will be the one to stay. I'm saying that based off of last season. He may not be as strong, but he's quicker and better offensively. Definitely more of a pest.

I can't comment on the other forwards, but I'm betting Ledin and Parker stick around.

Ryan Smyth, statistically, has had a great preseason. 5 goals and 2 assists in 4 games; it doesn't get much better than that. Of course, the preseason doesn't necessarily translate into the regular season. Tucker has also scored alot so far, spending most of his time on a line with Sakic (which doesn't surprise me), notching 2 goals an an assist in 3 games.

Overall, I must say the success of the preseason makes me think this team may be capable of doing something similar to what Montreal did last year, but there are still many questions:

- Can Budaj hold things down in goal?
- Can Colorado get things together on the PK and PP?
- Will Arnason show the same consistency he had in 2007?

and yes, I'll go there,

- Will Peter Forsberg return.*

Only time will tell. The season opens Thursday night at 8 pm (10 pm EST) as the Avs host Boston at the Pepsi Center.

*(Don't put too much stock into that silly rumor on hockeybuzz suggesting Sundin and Forsberg are planning a joint come back to Colorado. In fact, don't put too much stock into anything you read on that site.)

No comments: